Two weeks ago we sent our buddy AHAB3 up into the air. About two hours into the flight and 56062 feet up, we stopped getting position updates. We could hear it transmitting, but it just kept repeating the same position.
Our recovery teams drove around and tried to use the secondary beacon to figure out where it was. We got some good headings using the direction-finding equipment, but then lost all signal from the payload.
We headed back to Seattle, sure we had lost a third payload.
Last Tuesday, 3ric got a call on his cell phone. A forest ranger in Idaho had stumbled across our bumblebee! He hiked it out, and a few days later shipped it off to us.
Monday morning we got a nice present at the lab, gingerly removed the SD card, and were greeted with:
Tonight the we’re going to go over the payload with a fine-toothed comb, and catalogue what’s broken and what’s still working. A number of systems malfunctioned during the flight, so it’s vital to know why if we want to do this again.
More photos can be found here